Inclusive Advising for International Student & Exchange Professionals eLearning Course
Designed with current and future International Student & Exchange professionals in mind, this 4-week elearning course focuses on the skills and strategies needed to effectively support international & exchange students to achieve academic success, interpersonal growth and career readiness. Using a convenient asynchronous learning model, the course covers essential components of an inclusive approach for International & Exchange Student Services professionals.
About the Course
The Inclusive Advising for International Student & Exchange Professionals elearning course provides current and future International & Exchange Student Services practitioners with the information and resources they need to develop an inclusive environment where all students are supported in their international endeavors.
Each section is broken into subsections that include an instructional video, examples, key strategies, a quiz or scenario, and self-reflection and action planning. As participants complete each section, they will have opportunities to identify key takeaways and action items that can be implemented in their day-to-day duties.
What You Will Gain
Those who complete the course will gain:
- A foundational understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion in global education;
- An understanding of how inclusive best practices in International & Exchange Student Services can be integrated throughout the educational continuum;
- A better understanding of how social identity can impact an international student’s experience;
- New vocabulary to facilitate self-reflective conversations with colleagues and students around social identity ;
- A toolbox of resources and information applicable to International & Exchange Student Services support.
Who Should Enroll
The principles discussed in the course will benefit learners from any industry, however the course was developed primarily to support current and rising International Student & Exchange professionals who are:
- Interested in a fostering inclusion and belonging throughout the student experience;
- New professionals in the field of International Student & Exchange Services;
- Graduate students or other professionals interested in entering the field of International Student & Exchange Services;
- Interested in developing or deepening understanding of diversity, equity, and inclusion in International Student & Exchange Services.
The 4-week elearning course utilizes an asynchronous learning model, allowing participants to access course material at their convenience. The course content -- consisting of 5 core modules -- is made available on a “dripped” weekly schedule, with 1-2 modules released each week of the program. Content includes instructional videos, articles, quizzes, scenarios, and other activities designed to promote applied learning. Modules will explore topics such as:
- Understand the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion in global education.
- Gain new vocabulary to facilitate self reflective conversations around inclusive advising practices.
- Develop a better understanding of how social identity, with special emphasis on race and ethnicity, can impact an international students’ experience.
- Continue to build vocabulary to facilitate self reflective conversations with colleagues and students around social identity.
- Develop a better understanding of how social identity, with a special emphasis on sexual orientation and gender identity, can impact an international students’ experience.
- Better understand the terms and definitions used when discussing issues of diversity and inclusion related to sexual orientation and gender identity.
- Obtain tangible student support strategies and programming ideas to intentionally support international and exchange students around identity development and education.
- Through reflective activities, build your own action plan with concrete steps that can be shared with colleagues.
- Explicitly connect content learning content to your role and future career.
- Explore tools, resources, and exercises to continue to build professional capacity.